Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Way YOU Are- The Adventures of Skinny Mini Kiki

For today's The Way You Are post we get a special treat. My dear friend Chantale has opened up her home to let us all get a peek inside. She is one of the most encouraging and selfless people I know. She is always emailing me encouraging me and making me laugh. If you have not checked out her adorable blog The Adventures of Skinny Mini Kiki, please do so. She has the cutest family and her home is so gorgeous! Thank you Chantale for doing this, I know you are a busy Mama!

Chantale's favorite spot....

Leah, thank you so much for asking me be a part of your new The Way You Live series! I'm really honoured but scared silly too because you've posted some amazing interiors from some amazing people already.

You've asked us to show a favourite part of our house and I have to admit, the one room that stole my heart when we were looking for a new house 3 years ago is our now office/playroom. However, this is not the room that I want to showcase today. 1. Because it is always a work in progress and 2. Because it is in constant toy mess. lol. What I wanted to share with you and your readers today is our dining and living room. Our home has an open concept interior layout where the living, dining and kitchen areas flow into each other. I love open concept homes! The open airy feeling makes you feel welcome as soon as you set your foot over the front door threshold. We held off decorating and buying new furniture for years putting all our efforts into making our home child-safe and just enjoying being a family. However, the last 2 years we've been slowly removing all the child-safe gates, protectors etc and looking around for new furniture and updating our decor. What was especially hideous in our home was the dining room table and chairs. We inherited an 80's white stained oak table almost a decade ago and while it was serviceable, it looked horrible. Even after I had it sanded down and re-stained (which took me about a week to do myself), it was an eyesore and we were unable to have too many sit down dinner parties with it (it sat at maximum 6 people). I had even put up a bamboo screen behind our living room sofa to hide the dining room from sight.

After a long period of looking and not finding what we wanted, we finally contacted a furniture craftsman to create our dining room table and it turned out beautifully! It is scaled to our dining room perfectly and seats up to 10-12 people. Perfect for family gatherings and dinner parties! I found the antique windsor chairs online and I love it. Our furniture craftsman even took our old Ikea cabinets and stained it to match our new antique chairs and table! I love how the rooms flow now with tons of light filtering in from our windows. We've also been adding in new artwork on the walls and one of my favourites is the Miles Davis poster we purchased when we took our 5 year old to see the exhibit at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts. I've also been finding new home decor stores opening up around my neighborhood and have been buying new accessories for our home. One of my favourite purchase has been a chrome ceramic owl!

Apart from finally getting a beautiful dining room table, our whole experience of having our table custom made has turned out to be a wonderful collaboration between my husband and I and the furniture craftsman responsible of making our idea come to life. In fact, we have started a company together called Mtl.Folio (www.mtlfolio.com) and we now create custom crafted wood furniture for a wide variety of clientele! Our business started a few months ago and has slowly picked up steam. Slow is good in the beginning as it gives us a chance to do a check balance of what needs to be improved upon and what we're doing right. So far, we've been garnering business through word of mouth and we're loving it! And to think.. it all started with a search for our perfect dining room table! Our home is by no means a Kelly Wearstler signature interior but it's our home and one that is warm and inviting. I hope you enjoyed a glimpse of it.

IMGP6414.jpg


Home3.jpg


Home2.jpg


mtlfolio1.jpg

via

14 comments:

Danielle Oakey Interiors said...

i love this home, so welcoming!

Megan // Honey We're Home said...

Thanks for the introduction- I need to go visit. I love that she's taking her daughter to the museum and bringing it back to their home.

Unknown said...

What a beautiful table! I too have been looking for the perfect table to seat 12, I finally found it at Restoration Hardware but was a little out of budget so I was going to see if we could have a craftsman to reproduce something similar. It's great to see that you were able to get the exact look you wanted.

Unknown said...

Beautiful home and her photographs are stunning. Thanks for the introduction!

jemina said...

WOW, her house is awesome!!! LOVE this amazing post :)

XOXO
J

Amy Moore said...

Such a warm and inviting space, love her blog too!

Amy

Brandi@ Flights of Whimsy said...

How awesome to have a table especially made for you. Great job!

Unknown said...

Love her home, that poster is amazing!

Carissa @ the Fabulous Design File said...

Fabulous photos, amazing styling! Love it!

Unknown said...

GORGEOUS. wow. Such a great style and i love how the table was specially made. Great post.

Unknown said...

Leah, thank you so much for inviting us back to your blog! I am blushing profusely at all the wonderful comments here. Thank you so much everyone! Our home is constantly a work of progress but I'm glad you all like it. We just love it to be comfortable and welcoming. Leah, I should have asked you to give me your photo dimensions cuz these are sure long and skinny. Haha! I had a good laugh over my pics. Leah, a super big hug to you for letting us be a part of your day. This was a wonderful experience. I look forward to more The Way You Live from others as well!
xoxo

Daria said...

What a wonderful article and what an extraordinary story! Glad you shared your home with us Chantale! I love it!

Best of luck with your new business - I'm sure it will be a complete success!

KLT said...

This space is as lovely and welcoming as Chantale & her blog. Thanks for the tour & wonderful post. Good luck on your new business venture Chantale! Oh and the photos are great too (love that Miles poster).

k said...

Wow, that table turned out wonderfully!! What a good idea to have it customized, I wouldn't even think of that!