Thursday, July 22, 2010

Two nights Two meals

Lets just say I am not super into cooking but I have the desire to see my family eat healthy home cooked meals so thus I am delighted. My pictures here are not so cute and pretty sloppy but I thought I would share two recipe's from the last two nights dinners. This is the first time sharing a recipe on this blog, so please excuse my unprofessional presentation here. : )

Last night, we had
Romaine Hearts Lettuce Wraps
1 head romaine hearts
3 chicken breasts, cooked and sliced
1 bunch cilantro
1/3 cup pine nuts
3 cloves garlic
1/3 cup fresh grated cheese
1/4 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup oil
1 haas avocado
2 red roma tomatoes
1 bunch green onions
salt and pepper

Blend garlic cloves, 1 tsp. salt, cilantro leaves and pine nuts in a small food processor until you get a creamy texture. Transfer to a bowl and start adding oil while whisking. Bring to desired texture adding the chicken stock if needed. Finish with salt and pepper to taste. Keep aside. Core and seed tomatoes and cut into strips. Slice green onion and avocado and set aside. Clean romaine and separate leaves. Mix the chicken with the cilantro pesto. Take a leaf of romaine and put some of the chicken mixture, add avocado sliced, tomatoes, onions and top with cheese! YUM!



The night before last we had

Eggplant Lasagna with Herbed Ricotta and Asiago
1/2 pound plum tomatoes, halved and seeded (I did not do either)
1 clove garlic
4 tbl olive oil
kosher salt and black pepper
2 eggplants (about 3 pounds), sliced lengthwise 1/4 inch thick
1 cup ricotta
1 large egg
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
1/4 cup grated Asiago or Parmesan (1 ounce)
4 cups mixed greens
1. Heat broiler. In a food processor, puree tomatoes, garlic, 1 tbl of the oil, and 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper. 2. In 2 batches, arrange the eggplant on a broilerproof sheet, brush with 2 tbl of the oil, and season with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Broil until charred and tender, 3 to 4 minutes per side. 3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the ricotta, egg, basil, and 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper.4. Spread half the tomato sauce in the bottom on an 8 inch square dish. On top of it layer the eggplant and ricotta. Top with the remaining eggplant and tomato sauce. Sprinkle with Asiago. 5. Reduce oven to 400 F and bake until bubbling, 15 to 20 min. Let rest for 10 min before serving.




How to keep daughter happy while cooking dinner in the morning before babysitting little nephew!

Yes I spilled! Such shame! : )

This isn't even the final product because I didn't get my butt in gear to finish before baby drop off. But trust me it turned out prettier than this. Oh what you all have to put up with with me!

via Leah

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everything looks delicious! YUM! Love the "keep calm and snack on" tray :)

k said...

were they fabulous? I'm going to have to try them!

Lulu said...

We love lettuce wraps here, so many things you can make to "spice" them up!

Cassie said...

Both recipes look delish! I haven't shared a recipe on my blog in so long, so I really love when others do!

christine, just bella said...

YUM, looks delish!! I love your cute little dishes.

Anonymous said...

The lasagna looks like a good way to sneak in some veg into a kid's diet!

Heather said...

The lettuce wraps sound sooo good! I'm going to have to snag this recipe...thanks!

The Everett Seven said...

Good Job Leah! I will come back for your recipes!

Anaiz said...

The recipes sound great. Don't worry, I spill even more on a daily basis no joke.

Muffy said...

These sound really good & easy (I am in desperate need of quick & easy right now!) Don't you love those black & white dishes? I have them to & they are so fun to mix & match.

jemina said...

Thanks for sharing your recipes, everything looks so delicious, and look at how cute Everlette is (I hope I get her name right this time :)), have a fabulous thursday dear, XOXO

Ruby said...

Looks great! Wish my Hubby would eat such things, sadly he will not so often I eat poorly cause I am not willing to go through all the prep if he is not going to eat it. *SIGH* ...loved the dishes by the way!

Unknown said...

First, I have to say.. What a gorgeous little girl you have! What a smile! Look at her little fluffy hair.. so adorable!
Second, you cook more than I do. haha! The recipes look great, I want to try the lettuce wraps! You can do the korean version too. Just substitute the romaine for regular lettuce, add rice and kojuchang. Voila! Summer staple. My lettuce in my garden were attacked by ants this year so, sadly no home grown.. Your lasagna looks scrumptious!
Also: hope you get that dresser! I'd paint it... with new knobs.. : )

Mimi said...

What great recipes, and pictures! It all looks so yummy!

xo

Sharstin said...

yummy! making me hungry--all the plates and bowls are equally delish~love the ikat!

Unknown said...

Yum - that looks delicious. Thanks!

Danielle said...

Mmm... I'm going to have to try these recipes out. (Better yet, I'll show my husband and hopefully he'll make them for me.)

Andrea said...

Mmmmm, this looks delish!! I want some!

Mary said...

I'm glad you are starting to share recipes! I have to say, I am in love with your dishes!!! Those bowls are so cute!!!

Rachel- Once Upon a Farm said...

Yummy Leah and beautiful presentation! Thank you for sharing the recipes! Kisses to Evie!!

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

Your Ikat bowls are divine - a lovely post, Leah. Thanks for sharing.

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

Yummy! Love your place setting- those bowls! :)

Amanda said...

The lasagna sounds delicious!! Love that photo of Evelette :) Her little kitchenette in the background looks adorable, I'd love something like that for Grace :)