Friday, June 25, 2010

First guest blogger! Will from Bright Bazaar




Hello! It's Will from Bright.Bazaar here and I'm so excited to be guest posting on Leah's fantastically colourful blog. I remember when I discovered The Way We Are a few months ago and I've been addicted everyday since, so to be blogging here means a lot to me. Thanks, Leah!

Leah asked for the five things I always like to decorate with, so here goes with my list:

1. Fresh Flowers

I simply adore fresh blooms because they bring a great dynamic to the room and its scheme. One bunch of flowers can provide: perspective and a focal point for the room; a hit of colour - either an unexpected pop or a key accent to the room's colour scheme - which makes the space feel fun; and of course, they smell lovely!

2. Colour

Followers of my blog will know I'm a big advocate for the brightly coloured objects of this world, which means it will come as no surprise that I love to decorate with vibrant shades, too. I guess I love the dimension that colour adds to a room - it always helps to set the tone and feel of the space. I've been a huge fan of yellow this season, and this living room with it's fun pops and eclectic feel really calls out to me.



3. Stripes

Pattern is always key in my decor ideas, and more often than not I echo my wardrobe style (think GAP and J Crew striped shirts) in my decor schemes with stripes. I have an unhealthy obsession with them. I recently purchased two yellow and grey striped pillows from Zara Home, which are now on sale at £3.50 - bargain alert! They are also fab to use more dominantly in a scheme - my favourite example is in the wallpaper used on the ceiling in this swoonful scheme. Doesn't it look fun?!
4. Industrial textures

I think this is the part where I add some more masculine themes to my rooms, usually in the form of a pendant shade, chair or table lamp. I like the stylish edge that metallic textures and materials give to a space. Recently I've been really drawn to decorating with pendants like these (especially in a due form) and what I like to call It's Complicated-Style bakery chairs (wasn't the bakery decor in that film to die for?!)
5. Textiles

Finally, I always love to have plenty of welcoming and comfy textiles. I like to throw all the cushions on the floor and make an impromptu crash area for when I'm bored of the sofa (just like in this pic!), and I also like the sofa to look good whilst it's empty. I use this excuse for the countless throw cushions and pillows I buy!

Well that's my top five must haves when decorating, but what are yours?

Thank you so much Will for the fantastic tips! I always love your style!

21 comments:

Shannon @ What's Up Whimsy said...

Wow, what a great first blogger! I am big fans of both of you!

Lilacandgrey said...

gotta have fresh flowers and stripes!!
<3 cara

Unknown said...

my office is SPITTING image of the 2nd pic - boy i miss DOmino!!!! .. i have lichentien painting tho on my walls :o)

i'm haven' a party - stop by!!!
*kiss kiss*
HAPPY WEEKEND!
Erika
~Tiptoe Butterfly~

jemina said...

fabulous guest post, for me my decorating ideas usually come from colour schemes, style, shapes, texture and most importantly, how i feel, xoxo

Kristen said...

Awesome first guest blog! Great inspiration - love the stripes on the wall!

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

Yay, love this guest blog. Fabulous inspiration!

alison (semi-fab lane) said...

great tips will! i l-o-v-e that striped ceiling nursery!

Mande said...

Wow, just found a new blog to love. Thanks Leah and so happy to now be following you Will!!

Carpe Diem said...

It doesn't matter how drab a room may look, initially...flowers will always add a bit of elegance...and depending on the vase and the arrangement it can also add a bit of chic.

Unknown said...

really fun post! adore the bright cushions in the last picture!! xoxo

THE ALTERNATIVE WIFE said...

Oh this is a great post! I so agree with everything he says. I'm currently in need of some flowers myself :)

Have a great weekend! Hope u get some time to enjoy!

Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

Great choices and a wonderful post!

Happy Weekend!

Ariane said...

Love the guest post, Leah!

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

Great advice and great images!
Thanks for your comment this a.m. I love your blog too!
I'm following so I don't miss a thing!

Unknown said...

It's Will!!! So much fun to see you here. Love all the pops of colour! I just love this blog too (as I do yours). I love the fact that you push for more colour in everyone's homes but also give advice to readers on how to add it in small doses as well (for us scaredy-cats). Have a great weekend Leah and Will!

Unknown said...

I sure love stripes too!

Welcome said...

Love the post and what a wonderful guest blogger...

XOXO
kiki

Danielle said...

great tips! thanks!

keely @ luxe + lillies said...

LOVE will! Fab tips! He has great style!

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

Thanks so much for the lovely comments and Leah, thank you for having me on your lovely blog as well!

Bridget said...

didn't even know there WAS a zara home-- oh my. and we own the same green fainting couch!